Jan Marin was called to the Ontario Bar in 2010. She focuses her practice on professional negligence matters with a special interest in medical malpractice.
Jan is a current member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA). She is involved in their Interventions Committee, Litigator Editorial Board, Moot Organization Committee and the Practice Direction Committee. She is an active writer and contributor to the Litigator Magazine, OTLA Blog and Medical Malpractice Newsletter. She has acted as the chair of various OTLA sections, including the Medical Malpractice, New Lawyers and Women’s sections.
Jan also volunteers her time with Pro-Bono Ontario. She spends a full day each quarter on the “Hotline” answering legal questions presented by low-income Ontarians. She also volunteers annually as a team coach for the Ontario Justice Education Network, a program that brings mooting into high schools across the province. Jan is a member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Premature Babies Foundation, bringing her legal expertise to an organization dedicated to helping parents, clinicians and educators who work with premature infants.
Jan’s Personal Injury practice focuses on medical malpractice and professional liability, and she is a passionate, dedicated advocate for her clients and their families. She is committed to assisting them in obtaining favourable outcomes and giving them the best chances for their future after often experiencing traumatic, life-changing events
- University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, J.D. – 2009
- Huron University College at the University of Western Ontario, B.A. – 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA), Board of Directors
- Canadian Premature Babies Foundation, Board of Directors
- Medical Malpractice Section, OTLA, Former Co-chair
- University of Toronto’s Health Law Advocacy Program, Mentor
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- New Lawyers Division, OTLA, Former Co-Chair
- Women’s Caucus, OTLA, Former Co-Chair
- Volunteer with Pro-Bono Law Ontario
Armstrong v. Ward, 2021 SCC 1 (CanLII), January 21, 2021
Jan obtained a significant medical malpractice victory in the Supreme Court of Canada on January 18, 2021, following 10 years of representation and court battles. Not only does this win mean a brighter future for our client, but it sets an important precedent for every person who has been injured or may be injured by medical negligence.