Manitoba and Nunavut
Connect with Chris
Chris Wullum is a lawyer with Tapper Cuddy LLP, a Winnipeg law firm recognized as having one of the leading medical malpractice departments in Canada, with particular experience in birth injury cases. Chris has extensive experience representing plaintiffs in medical malpractice cases in Manitoba, playing a leading role in many of those actions. He is a founding member of the Birth Injury Lawyers Alliance of Canada.
Chris has particular experience and interest in representing families in cases involving severe and complex injuries to infants, including cases with cerebral palsy and hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy that may arise around the time of birth.
Chris was co-counsel in a leading birth injury case in Manitoba, Bauer v. Seagar. This case, decided by the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench, involved the failure of a physician and nurses to provide an acceptable standard of care, having failed to consider or implement a caesarean section delivery on a timely basis. As a result, the Court awarded the infant plaintiff and her family a multi-million dollar award of compensation for their injuries.
In addition to his concentration on such cases, Chris has extensive experience in many areas of civil litigation, and is an accomplished litigation counsel in Manitoba in areas of personal injury and tort litigation, human rights cases, defamation and media law. He has appeared in all levels of Superior Court, including Manitoba Trial and Appellate Courts, the Federal Court, and other tribunals and inquiries. He has also served as counsel in dispute resolution hearings, including at mediations and arbitrations.
Chris has written articles and presented on issues concerning medical malpractice, expert evidence, litigation and court process, and media law. He is a member of the Western Canadian Medical Malpractice Association and also belongs to the Canadian Media Lawyers Association.
Chris has been involved with the University of Manitoba law school, as he has routinely served as a moot court trial and appeal judge as part of the school’s advocacy program for its law students.
Born and raised in Winnipeg, Chris has a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Manitoba after pursuing a Bachelor of Arts from the same school. He is active in the life of his community. Of particular note is his involvement as Chairperson of the Board of Directors for Ten Ten Sinclair Housing Inc., which promotes, develops and administers accessible housing and support services to enable independent living for persons with disabilities in Winnipeg.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Manitoba, 1991-92
- Juris Doctor, University of Manitoba, 1996
- Has acted on and assisted clients in achieving multi-million dollar settlements in injury claims
- Was co-counsel in a leading birth injury case in Manitoba, Bauer v. Seagar, which resulted in a multi-million-dollar award for damages
- Has written and presented papers on issues concerning medical malpractice, expert evidence, litigation and court process
- Has appeared in all levels of Superior Court, including Trial and Appeal Courts in Manitoba and other provinces
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Founding member of the Birth Injury Lawyers Alliance of Canada
- Member of the Western Canadian Medical Malpractice Association
- Board Member of Children’s Rehabilitation Foundation of Manitoba